Saturday, June 14, 2008

2008 - The Year of "Shock and Awe"

Let me just start out to describe how my 2008 began. My mother passed away on February 12, 2008, my aunt passed away two weeks later, I went into my doctor for a routine physical where through lab tests my blood indicated a high level of myeloblasts (leukemic cells), after two bone marrow biopsies I was diagnosed with "Evolving to AML", and am now being admitted to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago today and will start an aggressive chemo treatment to get after this culprit. I can pretty much say I have experienced the "Shock" portion of "Shock and Awe". I guess I am waiting for the "Awe". I know that God will provide the "Awe". My study this morning included the scripture from Psalm 59:16: "But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble".

My Father's Day yesterday (and the whole weekend) was AWEsome. Jackie flew in on a surprise visit from Wichita, KS and Amanda, Jackie, Beth and Gail were all together with me through a good portion of the weekend. I may be biased, but I couldn't feel more blessed to have my whole family around this last weekend. I even missed some of the U.S. Open, how is that for making sure that I have my priorities in the right place. The house was chaotic and everything and I loved it. When you think you would like "quiet' in the house, think again. You might get what you wished for. As for me, the more chaotic the better. BTW, when was the last time that you told your children (and spouse) that you loved them? I have learned that if I don't do that daily, my day is just not right. I am proud to say that God has blessed me with a wife and children that make me proud.

No comments: