Monday, June 23, 2008

6/23/08 - Day Seven

Here I am on day seven. I am now on my last bag (24 hours) of AraC. That bag will finish out at 5 AM tomorrow morning. Hooray! That will complete my seven days of targeting poisoning, which effectively what chemo is. With the posioning comes the challenge of keeping everything in balance in my system. One day at a time.

My treatment has gone well. I feel well. Haven't been nauseated; no mouth sores, and overall feel pretty good. I did have a bit of a rough Friday evening and Saturday when I had a low grade fever. The hospital staff was all over that. I was back on the stationary bike yesterday morning feeling relatively chipper. I am now on a regimen of antibiotics.

I played some games yesterday with Gail, Amanda and Elliott. They didn't let me win! They are so competitive. I wonder where they got the competitiveness from? It is a joy to be humiliated in a game with those you love! ::> Speaking of humiliated, I also enjoyed watching the Cubs pound the Sox this last weekend. Sorry Sox fans!

I know I still have a rough road ahead over the next few weeks as my blood counts continue to drop. I know that God's grace and peace is with me. Several of you shared verses about God's grace through your emails. The book of I Peter has had special meaning to me over the last few days as I think about Peter who was with Jesus in the early days of his ministry and was a witness to Christ's sufferings. Peter saw the glory of Christ's coming kingdom and wanted to encourage us in our daily christian lives and duties. Specifically, I Peter 5:20 "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast". God sacrificed the ultimate with his son dying on the cross for our sins. I pray that each of you personally experience the grace of God in your lives.

As I enter into week #2, I thank you for your continuing encouragement. As I keep my focus on "this race", my next key milestone will be in about a week when they will perform a bone marrow biopsy to see how effective the treatment will have been. Please pray for a positive outcome.

3 comments:

CJ said...

Dear Dennis,
I am glad to hear that week one went well. You made me laugh out loud when I read how you called a meeting with your care team before your treatment started to determine milestones & goals in order to identify forecasts. Now you are reporting the actuals! That is so you! My prayers this week will be that you are kept safe from any source that could harbor an infection. Keep well in spirit too.
Warm regards,
Christina & Lon Annest

Beth said...

HAHAHA. This was a really good post!

David Allen B said...

Hello my friend. You know taht you are in my prayers and thoughts daily. Your fight and your love for your family is an inspiration to everyone.

Dave and Terri Buckel

PS: I look forward to the day when I can once again watch you miss a number of two foot putts!